
A few months ago my friend Kelly called to invite me to sign up for a bike ride on June 6 with her and some friends. I took it as a challenge to start exercising again. The Little Red Riding Hood (held near Logan, UT) is a women-only ride to benefit women's cancer research. You can read about it
here. It's a 100 mile ride with shorter distances of 15, 30, 45, 65, & 80. My goal was the 65 mile ride. I started attending spin class at the gym and went on several bike rides (ranging from 15 to 50 miles). I didn't train as hard as I could have or wanted to, but I felt ready. John & I decided to stay at a bed & breakfast just outside Logan. It was called the Providence Inn. Very cute place.

We drove up Thursday night and spent Friday hanging out. We stopped by the temple for a photo. (I'm wearing my new LRRH t-shirt.)


John decided I needed a bike rack on my car so we spent a few hours chasing down parts at various sporting goods stores in Logan. We picked a parking lot and John got to work.

I "carbed up" at dinner but slept terribly. I think I psyched myself out. Regardless, I was ready to ride. Here I am pre-ride. It was a little cool so I layered up.

I did okay the first 30 miles and then I hit a climb. It wasn't steep, but it was steady, and I had to fight the wind. My speed plummeted to 7 or 8 mph. It was killer. I came out of the climb exhausted and headed to the lunch break where John was waiting for me. Poor John - I met him with tears. He was very patient and offered to take me home. I knew I would regret it if I didn't finish what I had come for. I ate lunch and rested and then got back on the road.

The last 30 miles went pretty smoothly. John was the SUPER SUPPORT MAN. He met me at all the rest stations and drove by yelling encouragement. I'm really digging the fashion statement below. (It's all about the layers and options.)

I was so happy to see the finish line. It ended up being a 62-mile ride. It took me 4 hours, 45 minutes, a few tears, some bananas, some
Shot Bloks, lots of Gatorade, and a very sore bum.

Yahoo! Finished! I'll definitely ride it again and hopefully 80 or 100 miles next year.
7 comments:
way to go! I love the feeling of overcoming the "wall" and meeting your goal!
Wahooo! Go Michelle!
that is so awesome congratulations!
Awesome, Michelle! You're no quitter. :-)
Way to go Michelle. That wind really was mean! I think I got down to 5 or 6 mph! :)
Michelle! When that race comes around again, will you let me know about it? I have wanted to do a Century and I think that is so fun that it is just for women. Keep me posted. How are you liking your new bike? I rode Suncrest this morning...
congrats on the bike ride - wow! Thanks for the message - fun to hear from you again and see some pictures. Funny you didnt' find me earlier on some of the beecher's blogs. I have several connections with the halls- from orem high to Kenny working with peter to my dad being mary's mom's bishop - funny small world.
I gather from the pics its just the two boys? glad you are happily married - so so happy for you.
Post a Comment