Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hair Dryer in Your Face

I made my 2nd annual trek to Mesquite on Monday to hang out with my parents and see the shows at the Tuacahn. I left the beautiful 80-ish degree temps of Orem and drove four hours south. I arrived at my parents' house and opened the car door. Whoosh. Mother Nature had turned the hair dryer on high heat and was blowing it in my face. 100 degrees plus. Suffocating. I'm so grateful for air conditioning.

After lunch with Mom & Dad, we walked next door to Grandma O's house. She'll be 95 in November. The woman is amazing. 4'11" and full of it. She's sharp as a tack, still drives her car, and has a great sense of humor. We took some apples up to her house and made an "apple brown betty" as she calls it. I used her cool apple peeler; Mom cut the apple slices; Grandma made the crumbly oat topping. We chatted while we worked. I so wish I'd taken a picture of all of us in the kitchen. She's a gem!

That night we went to the Tuacahn theater and watched Annie. It's such a feel-good show. I just love the setting with that red rock in the background. Sadly I didn't have my camera with me.

Tuesday Mom & I went to St. George and shopped before the show. I bought a new skirt & shirt at DownEast Outfitters with a b-day gift card from my mother & sisters-in-law. So fun. After some yummy sandwiches at Jimmy John's we went to the show - Footloose. Another impressive performance. There were a few differences from the 1984 movie. I loved it. I'm amazed that some people can sing, dance, & act and do all of them well. Impressive.
This was one scene from Footloose. They did some great choreography with the shopping carts.

Next year hopefully my Mesquite trek will expand to include my sisters. The Tuacahn is one tradition that must continue...

3 comments:

Jessie's Jargon said...

I am headed to Tuacahn this week to see the same shows. I can't wait. Its a tradition for me every year.

Luisa said...

I live in a place where it can get up to 100 degrees in the summer. It does feel like a hair dryer blowing in your face! Either that, or it feels like opening a preheated oven and putting your face in it. :-)

I don't know how the pioneers settled in places like AZ and Utah before air conditioning was invented!

In spite of the heat, your trip sounds like it was a blast. :-) Apple brown betty, shows, and shopping -- fun!

Melodie said...

Looks like so much fun. I've got to get down to Tuachan one day!!!