Sunday, July 3, 2011

6 people, 26 hours, 100 miles

Even more photos this time:

6 people, 26 hours, 100 miles - welcome to Ragnar, Wasatch Back. If you're not familiar with Ragnar, you can check it out here. Basically, it's a relay run covering 192 miles with teams of 12. John & I were invited by our good friends Debbie & Brandon to join their van of 6. The morning of the race we met our other teammates Jaron & Brooke. Here we are, ready to run...
We've got the essentials: Ragmag, safety flags, headlamps...
I was the 2nd runner in our van. I look calm, but I was all butterflies inside waiting for my turn.
Yes, I know my outfit is ridiculous. These are my pink compression sleeves, to help with circulation while running...or just emphasize my large calves.
Off I go.
John, waiting for me with my chapstick in hand. Thanks babe!
A kiss of encouragement...
and I'm off again. My first leg was 6.75 miles. Wow. The farthest I had run before this was 5.5 miles so I was really proud of myself.
We're just hanging out waiting for Debbie to pass by. She was running on a dirt road, all uphill. We found the best spot on the road to wait.
John was runner #6. Here he is waiting for his first leg - 7 miles, a little uphill, mostly downhill. Killer on the knees.
This was the end of the dirt road.
Go Johnny!
This was our favorite team name!
The great part about Ragnar is having a team to cheer you on.
S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g...
This was our "van" with some last-minute decoration. Our team name was DQ'd for Rule 10E. I don't even want to explain. Just know that the name was created last year during Ragnar by some guys with very little sleep. Think bathroom.

After the other van ran their 6 legs, it was our turn again. I started running my 2nd leg around 11 p.m. Love the reflective gear & headlamp. I ran 3 miles.
John's 2nd leg was about 1 in the morning - 8 miles uphill. Poor guy!
By the time we finished our legs and stopped at a gas station, they had just delivered fresh donuts. We couldn't resist.
Our sleep time was supposed to be from about 2:30 a.m. to 7:30 or 8. I could..not..sleep! It was awful! I had a meltdown. I felt like I was going to throw up. It was bad. John told me he'd run my last leg for me. What a great husband. So, here he is - off to run my last 3.5 miles.
Waiting for other runners...
And finally, John was off on his own last leg, another 3 miles.
What a trooper. He ended up with close to 22 miles. I felt bad that I couldn't complete my legs, but I was proud of myself for running almost 10 miles.
We survived! The running was hard, but the company was fantastic!
John & I decided we'd like to head up a team for next year. We've already registered Team Viva La Familia for 2012. I must be crazy!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow, what an adventure. You are amazing for doing it!!! I would have been a mess if I hadn't gotten sleep either. No fun for you at all. What a great hubby you have!!!

Amy said...

yes, you must be crazy. but sometimes crazy is a lot of fun!.... sometimes....

Anonymous said...

What a team! So proud of you both. Thanks for keeping your blog alive and fun to read for old folks like me. Happy Birthday, by the way, good buddy. Hope your day was wonderful. Sorry I missed it.

Jon and Kim said...

Dude! John is a machine! Holy cow! I would NOT run that much even if you paid me. What a great hubby for stepping up and helping you out. You both are amazing!