Happy Birthday Jake!
Left to right: John, me, Jyson, Ethan (Jake's brother), McKelle, Nancy (Jake's mom), G'ma Gayle (Nancy's mom), William (Jake's stepdad), Liam (Jake's brother), Jake, Shun (Jake's BFF)
What I love about this picture is that we're all together...not just John & I and our kids, but all of Jake's "family": 2 moms, 2 dads, 4 siblings. From the moment I met Nancy over 7 years ago, she has been kind to me. She welcomed me into her home with open arms and it has been that way ever since. What a blessing for a new stepmom, unsure of her new role.
A couple of years ago, William called John for some help with a project at his house. They went together to Lowe's to get the parts. How often do you find that happening?
Sure, it's not ideal to have to split your time between 2 homes (although it does have its perks like double presents for every holiday...) BUT if you do get to have multiple parents, how great that they get along and like each other.
I remember when we first moved into our current ward and some of the boys found out that Jake attended a different ward each week. They asked him if that was hard. He said, "I don't know. It's always been that way." What is "normal" for him is so different than my childhood and yet these kids handle it so well.
It's been a privilege to be a stepmom. Sure, it's had a few rocky steps, but what parent role hasn't? Thanks McKelle, Jake, & Jyson for letting me be part of your lives.
What I love about this picture is that we're all together...not just John & I and our kids, but all of Jake's "family": 2 moms, 2 dads, 4 siblings. From the moment I met Nancy over 7 years ago, she has been kind to me. She welcomed me into her home with open arms and it has been that way ever since. What a blessing for a new stepmom, unsure of her new role.
A couple of years ago, William called John for some help with a project at his house. They went together to Lowe's to get the parts. How often do you find that happening?
Sure, it's not ideal to have to split your time between 2 homes (although it does have its perks like double presents for every holiday...) BUT if you do get to have multiple parents, how great that they get along and like each other.
I remember when we first moved into our current ward and some of the boys found out that Jake attended a different ward each week. They asked him if that was hard. He said, "I don't know. It's always been that way." What is "normal" for him is so different than my childhood and yet these kids handle it so well.
It's been a privilege to be a stepmom. Sure, it's had a few rocky steps, but what parent role hasn't? Thanks McKelle, Jake, & Jyson for letting me be part of your lives.
1 comment:
You guys are so blessed. Jake is a great kid...it was nice to hear him speak in church today. Funny that he really is the minority in your family. :)
Maybe I escaped some major hardship: I think my blended family experience would've been much different...
Post a Comment