Sunday, January 3, 2010

FHE Fun (Dec. 14)

I'm a little sheepish to admit it, but we've never really had Family Home Evening at our house. Yes, we've done lots of fun family things together, but we haven't done the formal thing. Mid November, our weekly night with Jyson switched to Monday. We decided that would be a great time to get it started. We talked to Jyson about it and he was excited about it. (He'd heard about it in Primary but never knew what it was. Okay, that's embarrassing.)

So, we had four successful FHEs before the Christmas break. Sitting for a 10 minute lesson has been a challenge for Jyson but I've already seen progress. One week he gave the lesson; he read a story from the Friend and it was great. That week, I was in charge of the game. I chose an old family favorite from my childhood - the flour game. Pack a mug full of flour. Invert on a plate. Top with a nickel. Take turns slicing the flour. Whoever causes the flour to "fall" has to retrieve the nickel using only his mouth.

Of course Jyson wanted to be the first to try it, so he was pretty bold with his "slices." It worked.
A successful retrieval.
He was much more competitive after that. Johnny was the "winner" of round 2. Yup, he was pretty excited about the retrieval...
Two rounds was enough. Jyson has asked to play it a few time since then but we told him that was an FHE only game. I have a feeling it will be replayed in January...

No comments: